Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Derby is as Derby does

It was a derby practice night....so I shall write about....DERBY!!!

The good news: The "fresh meat" group got to scrimmage a little bit tonight. I even got to try and be jammer. It was pretty awesome

The bad news: No new bruises..... I know, I know that should be good news because that means I didn't get knocked on my ass like it's majob but...they are my battle scars!! It is the reminder to me that not only did I take a hit and fell, but that I got right back up again and kept going. It is a bit of a sickness and possibly issue. Oh well.

Back to scrimmage. Wait. No. That was the end of the night. Let us start at the beginning (a very good place to start?)

I began my night running into the Hess to get water. While normally a very mundane task, let me explain to you what I was wearing. Black shirt, purple short shorts, pantyhose with quite a few runs in them already (they ended up having their last run tonight...pun slightly intended) and rainbow brite like knee socks (sneakers too...but they were rather unimpressive). Pretty sure the clerk thought I was slightly nutso. (technically...he probably isn't too far off, but it's not because of my kick ass knee socks)

Practice was awesome (as always) and I didn't get my ass kicked too much (which should be awesome too but a part of me is a bit sad about this). I got to try my hand at being the jammer (she's the one who gets through the pack to score points. For those of you that are lost. I promise a "derby basics" is coming soon.) OH BOY that is a tough position to play!! But I want to try it again. More so now that I remembered as a jammer, I can hit the other girls too (derby hits people...we are not savages!) I do think I like being in the pack a bit better. But we will see.

After practice.....same outfit, but add a purple bandanna and a few gallons of sweat...Hannaford trip!!! More odd looks. Best part of the night....my 9 year old asking me if derby has been affecting my driving. I asked him why...he got quiet...and finally answered that I did a nice u-turn. I think he is lying.

Derby is really one of the best things to have ever happened to me. I am more confident, getting more fit and slightly athletic, and I now know the greatest group of women who can kick my ass in a heartbeat. Not that they would. I am just saying.... plus it is nice to have an explainable reason to own so many pairs of fishnet stockings.....

ON A SIDE NOTE. I know I cannot keep up a daily post and not bore the crap outta people. Once I do about a week's worth, I think I am going to choose a day, and switch to a weekly posting. Unless something really cool happens and I absolutely cannot contain myself. Like..... resurrection of Firefly...(hey...it could happen!)

No comments:

Post a Comment