Monday, August 9, 2010

The Geek Gene

So all day I swear I had a ton of different ideas of what to write tonight. I got home, made dinner and POOF! Gone. Which was okay as I had stuff to do (while catching up on some great tv shows :) ) However, I was still at a loss whenever I was ready to break for 5 and let my geek self go at it.

Then....came my family to save the day.

Bit of back story. My dad's side, the Burns side, is pretty much either in New York or Florida (in reference to my first cousins) When I was younger I saw a bit of some. More so of my cousins Sarah and Christa. Occasionally of Heather and April. Rarely of Todd and Chad. Then....came Facebook. We all are in touch and frankly I feel closer with them all now as an adult online than I think I had growing up. (Oh...I have a cousin Joe too....however, he has yet to show his geek...as far as I know).

All in all we are fairly geeky. Sarah and Christa are librarians. Sarah married a librarian. (geeky in a cool knowledgeable way) Christa is a gamer (MMORPG I belive) with a gamer fiancée. (If I use term y'all don't like....I apologize). Not sure about Chad. He has chickens.....I want chickens.... Same with Heather....minus the chickens. Then there is Todd and April.

I am pretty sure that when the zombie apocalypse comes, we need to find a bunker together so we can be with our own kind.....(and booze)

April....cracks me the eff up. Todd, is my comic book junkie dealer. Even though I have seen neither in over 10 years, our likes are very parallel. When a family can take up a whole thread on an episode of True Blood....that is togetherness.....in a geeky sort of way (which is what triggered this particular blog).

OH! And then there is my brother. We are 8 years apart...did not get along for the longest. But now...we geek out together all the time. Even though I don't really feel like we "grew up" much together. We now are sharing things like if a new preview for Tron is out or if there is more information about The Avengers movie (we both really hope there is an Ant Man.....and Nathan Fillion)

So...gentle reader (yeah....I know....I won't call you that again. At least not in front of your friends) this lead me to the question. Is there a "geek gene" out there. In the nature vs. nurture quest, what has drawn a family, separated by miles and years, to so many of the same interests and thoughts and opinions on those interests. Maybe there is. Maybe there isn't. If I was ambitious I could Google this. But I still have Haven to get through and an attempt at Warehouse 13 again, now that the Eureka crossover has occurred. For now I am going to assume that the Geek shall inherit the earth and in order to do so, some of us are brought to a higher calling. Someday....the masses of comic con and of the like will be the ones to survive the zombie apocalypse, because frankly, we knew it was coming. And the earth will be populated by fanboys and fangirls alike. At least from the Burns Bunker. And maybe a trekkie if I am allowed to bring one along.....I have to ask for special permission.....maybe if the trekkie brings along a certain cast member.... ;)

6 comments:

  1. I totally went through a anime video game phase growing up! I'm so a geek, yet in my mid 20s, lack of time and money has allow me to keep up on my geekage, but it's still deep down in the pits of my livers. Yeah, I have more than one- I have twelve, that's where my ability to drink massive amounts of alcohol came in, which I also too think is a Burns' trait- some call it alcoholism- I call it a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Warehouse 13 so much, I love it. And, my librarian husband and I visited the Future Birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk on our last vacation, so Trekkies are welcome in the bunker. I would prefer Jean Luc Picard look alike Trekkies if at all possible, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if the family has okay-ed the Trekkies then it is all good!! I don't know if I know any who look like Picard however. I have developed an unhealthy crush on Wil Wheaton however....so a Wesley Crusher look a like is my preference. Or Wil Wheaton him self......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh? Are these tv shows? Movies? ;)

    I suppose I have only myself to blame since you were subjected in your "formative years" to an almost daily dose of Dr. Who ("1/2 hour" episodes Monday thru Friday and 2 hrs on Saturday night. Tom Baker, et. al. and God rested on Sunday...) The "special effects" were so bad they were good.

    Perhaps the "geek gene" spans the "Generations" (oh, that was bad).

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol! Wow, I don't even know where to start?!? I have absolutely NOOO idea what anyone is talking about! This is WAAAAYYY over my head. I guess I need April to 'baby' term it to me! lol I am so lost!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sistertard is dumb. HAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete