Monday, August 9, 2010

Roller Derby....in brief....

Before I head off to bed for the night, I figured I should say something about my favorite sport. I realized I didn't say much in my earlier blog.

I play roller derby. If you want to know what roller derby is, go to Youtube and look it up (I am to tired to figure out the link right now, but in the future....pics and videos galore!) I LOVE roller derby. More than almost anything else. As a single woman, if the guy I am interested in were to try and come between me and roller derby, he would lose. Fast. Even if it was Robert Gibbs. Or Alan Tudyk. As you get to learn about my Alan Tudyk obsession, you will see truly how much I value derby over almost anything. I have been lucky enough so far that this is not an issue.

I am on probation, which means no name yet. However, hopefully, come October, I will have one :) A good one too. Preferably geeky. What that means is I still practice with the girls, and I get to scrimmage at practice, but, no bouts yet. I am with Albany All Stars and they are an amazing group of men and women. Yes, while Roller Derby is mainly a woman's sport, we have a men's team. And in practice we scrimmage with them too.

So far only one practice have I scrimmaged, but let me tell you it was AWESOME. I got knocked down...twice! I have some sizable bruises, which, regardless of where they are, I will show anyone at anytime they ask (well....not at work....so almost anyone/anywhere) I was SORE from the earlier drills for days afterwards. However, I can not wait to do it again!! I also got some good hits/pushes in. I truly enjoy picking the person on the other team and just gunning for her.

I also have to join a committee with in the league. I am going to try to join the Public Relations/IT committee. I think I will kick butt there too :) It is my niche. Right now it is the off season, so not much seems to be going on that I can tell. Once the season begins in January, things, I hope, will get more interesting there.

Well....that is the basics, in a bit more than I originally planned to say about derby for now. As the bruises amass and the hits get harder, I will write more. Also, I am constantly looking for derby name suggestions :) Perhaps I should start a list of good names that are not already taken.....(oh yea...there is a register for derby names) Now I will try to sleep. :)

3 comments:

  1. Actually, there isn't a mens team, they are their own league and we're just friends with them. They aren't apart of our league as we are a "women owned and operated" organization

    ReplyDelete
  2. So every man you meet, if you are at all interested in them...you have to make sure they will support your passion.

    I have a friend who likes to go rock wall climbing, every seriously potential guy must like to do this as well, at least not be a wuss at it, otherwise they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy....ahhh.....I thought they were, from all that fun proposal stuff I read on the group. Oh well. It is still cool that they are there and we get to see them scrimmage at practice and scrimmage with them. That has been very entertaining to watch!

    Kathy...derby is not a hard sport for a man to initially support. I have a feeling it's going to be the long term, I am busy 3-4 nights a week that will be an issue. We shall see :D

    ReplyDelete